clementine

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Gems from the Library

Hello!!! I can't tell you how excited I am to finally be writing this post. It has been written and laid out in gorgeous fashion in my mind for way, way too long. If only all my thoughts could actually materialize, I'd be quite a productive person!

I love libraries! I LOVE LIBRARIES!!! I love them because I love books, ahem, I LOVE LOVE LOVE BOOKS!!! And you can miraculously go to a library and greedily stuff your already filled to the brim bag with books and take them all home for free, did you hear me? FOR FREE!!!! (did I mention that I love libraries?)

I can't count the times that we've come back and eagerly attack that bulging bag, snuggle on the couch, and sigh in disappointment for the unimaginative material that is being published en masse, how does this happen! I mean really, I'm not looking for every book to post a gold seal award, but there are just some really stupid kids book out there, and I think over the course of the last 7 years, we've read a lot of them, way too many, really.

But every week, it seems that tucked in between this drivel are several gems that are so tasty and fun and I've been dying to share them with you and make a list so that when Bennet is a little older and I'm reading longer books to him I can remember what in the world I've read.

My anal side wants me to categorize and alphabetize this list, but honestly naptime is almost over, so here is an initial list, in no particular order and hopefully with many more to follow in the future:

Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
Little Blue by Gaye Chapman
One Morning in Maine by McCloskey
Mr Putter (this is a series, they're all great) by Cynthia Rylant
McDuff (also a series, love the retro style) by Wells
Applesauce Season by Lipson
Bruna by Cottringer
Sandcastle Math Made fun series by Tracy Kompelien
Grandpa Green by Lane Smith
Legend of the Golden Snail by Graeme Berse
Halibut Jackson by David Lucas

I've been making lists of these for a while now and I have no idea where they're tucked away. So, I know there will be much more where this came from. I'm pretty sure that I enjoy good children's literature even more than my kids, haha. Right now Thursday is our library day, so perhaps I'll try to make that my posting day and let this list grow long and luscious!

No comments:

Post a Comment